Monday 6 January 2014

Pre-Production: Similar Products (Sara Bareilles)



Here is another Sara Bareilles music video to "Brave". This video is a performance video where Bareilles, along with other "outcast" people spontaneously dance in populated areas. I believe this video has the same target audience as mine since they both are telling misfit or outcasts to be themselves and don't let yourself be pushed around by others. In her video she uses a variety of camera angles, movements and fast paced editing to film the different dancers, this gave the piece a happy and upbeat feel to the video, whereas my video will have slow camera movements which will hopefully give it a sad and moving feel to it. The locations that Bareilles uses vary massively as to show that wherever you are, whoever you are you can be yourself, this contrasts to mine as I am using narration in my video and want the audience to really connect with my character so I am using one a few location that my character will be in. There will also be little colour in my video, mostly bland, greyscale colours to show the blandness of my protagonists life wheres Bareilles has a huge range of colours in her video to show the colour of the lives these characters have now they've been "Brave". I like the way of how social media plays a big influence in this video and although I wont be including much in mine I enjoyed the way the audience filmed the dancers on the phones as if this was a type of mini flashmob. I do also think that the colour is similar to my ideas for my music video as when my character dies the shots suddenly erupts with brightness and colour as she enters heaven, showing she is free and happy now.




Now looking at one of Bareilles most famous songs "Love Song" which is another performance video, the idea she's getting across is very different from the ones in most of her other videos. In this piece she is a sort of mini entertainer her and people pay to watch her perform in a little booth. By the use of colours and quirky setting it automatically gives this song a happy and lively feel to it. Like most of Bareilles' videos it has a fast pace to it and uses a variety of shots, mainly a lot of low and high angle shots to show Bareilles compared to the customers, especially at the end when she falls in love with the shop owner and they have a connection moment. I can apply Mulvey's theory of the Male Gaze to this video since Bareilles is literally stared at by loads of different people, mostly the owner of the shop, and although Bareilles is quite quirky and individual she is still considered an object of desire. Although I don't believe this is much like my music video I still like Bareilles' ideas towards breaking free of stigmas and going out and doing things for yourself, which is an idea I really want to push forward in my video.

No comments:

Post a Comment